Monday, April 21, 2008

The Wild Life (La Vie Sauvage)



What a sight, wildflowers are everywhere, the air is still crisp but the sun is warming the earth. Another weekend spent at the SSP, this time a trio: Evan, Jorgy and I. It was a full moon or close to it. After a Saturday spent watering the fruit trees that didn't die of neglect because of lack of care (the cabin was for sale for ages,) we ate dinner and all relaxed watching a movie: "Walk hard", a spoof on Johnny Cash with a little Jim Morrison thrown in, and the would-be intensity of the rock and roll life. The Wild Life. That we saw plenty of.

Let me start from the beginning. We first stopped in "Grapes of Wrath" country. This is where the government camp in the book was situated. By all means, read Steinbeck, it will make you a better person. Anyway, the Okies have now been replaced by the Homies. Same story, different people. I like Arvin, I can't explain why. I once saw a family in their Sunday best having lunch at Burger King. I don't know about you but to me that was touching. One of the rare time when I wish I had dressed up. Living can't be easy there so folks do what they can to stay alive. Here's a truck fully loaded with aluminum cans.



And, because I can never get enough of them, my Homies:



We got to the SSP traveling through the Lion's Trail, always awed by the majestic beauty of the foothills. Can't get too distracted though, could miss a curve and become part of the majestic beauty. Better keep an eye on all the cows on the road anyway. We hit a roadblock: a car coming the other way, two cows in the middle; what to do? We stopped and let the roadblock move slowly to the side of the road. A gentle hand wave hello from the other driver. People always wave driving by.

After dinner, before the movie, I sat outside on the porch a while taking in the moonlit landscape. Even at night the mountains are beautiful, mysterious womanly shapes. There were clouds in the sky moving so fast it seemed they were stationary and the moon was rising at supersonic speed. Git me a gin 'n tonic! Here's another shot.



Can you believe this little disc is responsible for moving oceans up and down?

We slept well and the next day went for a walk to the lake where Evan made some small adobe bricks and I tried to look for gold. Later on, after meeting our direct neighbor and his son-in-law, we went adventuring up Paiute Mountain. I don't exactly have the right kind of car for that but Evan wanted to so heck, why not try at least. We went up Thompson Canyon and saw wild horses and cows.





I just love that. And of course, a few trailers for the independent minded.





The area is well-known for mining, all kinds: gold, tungsten, you name it and we came upon a quaint little pond somebody built, complete with a gold sifting apparatus.





Gold I found none, other than gold you can't buy: a good time with my son and my dog.

After that, we went back to the cabin, watered some more (to the point where the tank was empty,) packed up and left. Jorgy didn't fight too hard to stay this time, just a little. On the road, by the old cemetery, we saw a bobcat cross the road. I stopped and we saw him hiding behind a small pine tree, looking at us. What a sight. I tried to get a shot but by the time I was ready, the bobcat was taking off. here's my blurry photo:



We drove wit the sun setting on the beautiful oaks of the Lion's Trail. i felt like I was driving through a moving painting.

No comments: